Sunday 30 January 2011

Failure is always an option

Keen to start of the next exercise, I set out with the plan to use a graffiti wall I'd seen in town and my 50mm lens that can go down to f1.8.  I my mind it would work quite well.

I was wrong.

This was mainly due to lens choice which will focus from 45cm to 3m and then infinity in barely 1 degree further round.  If I'd thought about this a bit more in advance, I'd have realised that this clearly would work for a wall that's at least 30m long!  I could get a decent shot with a near focus point, but beyond that just wasn't working.


This was the only shot that was close to working, but at least it's taught me a few things.  I always learn more when things don't work.  Now I need to think about other subjects for this exercise!

1 comment:

  1. I love the fact that you realised you had gone wrong like this. I do this all the time on my degree journey. You are so right, we learn much more by our mistakes than by things that come easily.
    I too did a stint on a local graffiti area with similar mistakes so know exactly where you were coming from. It all seems so straight forward in my head!

    ReplyDelete