Sunday 6 March 2011

Pt 1, Ex 6 Balance

I found this exercise difficult to start with as I hadn't really consciously considered balance in photographs, but relied on what 'looked right'.  Obviously there are no rules as such and what looks right is important, but this has taught me to look further at subjects and consider the balance as a part of the overall composition.

I've used 6 photographs that I've previously taken and indicated where I think that areas of balance occur.  Some of these were quite simple to identify (Balance 1, 4 & 5) and the others more complex.  At first I struggled to identify the balance in the other images, but then found that I was drawn to parts of the images, and that those parts formed the balance .

The original images are available in this set on Flickr

Balance 1.jpg 
Balance 1a.jpg
The balance is easily identifyable by the symmetric nature of the image.  The propellors balancing out the dominent nosecone.

Balance 2.jpg
Balance 2a.jpg
The Iron Bridge was more complex, but by noting the areas that caught my eye, I was able to identify the balance in the image.  I've included the detail at the highest point of the bridge as I feel this locks elements together.

Balance 3.jpg
Balance 3a.jpg
The bike splash photograph was challenging, but the relationship between the bike frame, the riders legs and the rear wheel tie the image together, forming a 'W'.

Balance 4.jpg
Balance 4a.jpg
The windmill is slightly off balance, but I don't feel it is any less of an image for it.  The bold strong brickwork on the right leads to the slender sail, giving a balance to an otherwise one sided image.

Balance5.jpg
Balance 5a.jpg
The ruined Welsh barnis a quite symmetric image and the balance reflects this.

Balance 6.jpg
Balance 6a.jpg
The waterfall was more complex to identify the balance in.  The edges of the river banks balance left to right, whilst the two falls of water balance top to bottom.

No comments:

Post a Comment